This low volume, classic string quilt block is the start of a most relaxing quilt!
Whip up a few blocks for the October meeting and you might win the whole shebang. Then you'll be well on your way to a new "Peace and Quiet" quilt.
6" Square quilter's ruler
Low volume (light) fabric strips 1.5" wide
Dark fabric, 1.5" square
Fabric Recipe: Light colored fabrics, modern or retro, whatever you like. And one dark fabric.
Cutting: From your 1.5" wide strips,
- cut three strips 9" long
- cut two strips 6" long
- cut two scraps to fit the corners, as shown below
1. Insert the 1.5" dark square into the middle of a 9" long strip, as shown above. Press.
2. Sew the other two 9" strips to this center strip. Press. Use the ruler to make sure the block is bigger than the ruler.
3. Next, add the two 6" long strips, as shown above. Press.
4. Add a scrap to the two corners. (If you use a 1.5" strip, you might come up short and have a chunky little seam right in the corner. Using a scrap is easier.)
5. Place the center of the square ruler in the middle of the dark center square, as shown above.
6. Trim. Enjoy!